Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Tennis Star

Between house guests, concerts and trying to catch up with work, summer vacation seems a million miles away already. One thing that's been great for keeping my sanity plus keeping me in shape after far too many hours sitting at my desk has been playing tennis.



I just started playing a few weeks ago and I'm already hooked. It's much more fun than going to the gym for me and though it doesn't target specific areas (can't quit doing squats or leg lifts to shape my bum!), it's a killer workout because I'm racing around the court constantly.

I have a pretty strong competitive drive, so that "first to the ball" instinct kicks in even though I don't know what I'm doing. I basically do sprints the full time I'm playing, plus slower jogs to retrieve my many, many wayward balls. I really need a ball boy. *grin*

Since I should be able to play almost year round out here (a little rain never hurt anyone, right?), I picked up some saucy new tennis shoes the other day. Aren't they smashing?



I wasn't sure what the difference was with tennis shoes versus my regular trainers, but when I took at the soles of these ones, I could see how perfectly flat the bottoms are with no indent in the middle to support your sole as you jog or climb up stairs. They're built specifically for the lateral movement on the flat surface of a tennis court and keep the top of my foot snug and locked in place.

Now if I could just figure out how to keep the ball in bounds, I'd be all set!

No comments: