Sunday, January 08, 2006

Weekend Update

I didn't make it to the dog park this weekend since my friend bailed on me, but he did make it up by taking me out for drinks on Friday night. We went to an English pub & listened to some live music & enjoyed a couple of pints of cider. Not many bars & restaurants carry Strongbow & if they do, it's in the bottle so I was happy to see it on tap. The most entertaining part of the evening was the drunk girl at the table beside us. She was sitting with 3 guys & was so hammered that she kept dancing & falling over, pulling up one guy's shirt to lick his nipples, grabbing another guy's crotch...crazy! I'm sitting at the next table, trying to pick at my nachos without staring at this boozy floozie spectacle. About 20 minutes later, drunk girl went from Sure Thing status to Date Rape status when she fell down & hit her head on a concrete slab at the base of a beam. The guys she was with didn't seem particularly worried, so I tried to get her up & make sure she wasn't bleeding. They joined in & we got her up just as some staff came over with a huge bucket, anticipating the next state in her evening. I moved my chair further away, but unfortunately our table was still too close because the next time she fell, she cracked her head on our table before hitting the ground.

At this point I'm pissed off & ready to tear into these guys. What are you waiting for? Take her home already! I began to help her up & one of the guys she was sitting with says to me, "Is she with you? Because I think it's time for her to go home." Oh my god!!! She wasn't even WITH the guys she was sitting with. They came in together, she stumbled over & sat with them & had been trying to figure out what to do with her ever since! The staff seemed to know her & apparently put her in a cab after last call. Crazy!

Just as I was leaving one of the guys said to me, "Are you sure you're not leaving together? Don't all beautiful women leave together?" Ummmm, are you kidding me? I get that he was trying to pay me a compliment, but really, lumping me into the same pile with the woman with cigarette butts in her hair because she's been on the floor for most of the evening is hardly what I would call a compliment. lol

Last night I was out late again to see the midnight showing of Jarhead. I liked it, but I can see how people expecting a war movie would be disappointed with the lack of action. Visually the Gulf War is an incredible backdrop for a movie & I thought the depiction of how much war time is spent just waiting & trying to keep busy was probably quite accurate. Modern wars aren't fought on the ground & many of the casualties happen after victory has been declared & the peacekeepers move in. It wasn't Oscar-worthy, but a good rental.

No comments: